Saturday, February 11, 2012

whitney houston, 1963-2012

There's not much I can say about Whitney Houston that isn't, in the wake of her untimely death, being said by many others. This is especially true because I was never really a fan of hers. I was, of course, aware of her. And I knew that she had one of the best voices around. But her style of music never interested me much.

There is one thing, though that I can give her. In fact, I had been planning to write a brief post on the subject. I devoted two posts (here and here) to the national anthem and the singing thereof before ballgames. The second of those posts was devoted to what goes wrong. Having written that, I have been planning to note what may be the best pre-game performance of the Star Spangled Banner -- that of Whitney Houston before the 1991 Superbowl:
Goodnight, Whitney, and Godspeed.

1 comment:

  1. I commend you Moish for managing to avoid using the word "tragedy" to describe the death of Whitney Houston.

    When the word "tragedy" gets so ridiculously overused to describe the fate of a young woman who had the world handed to her on a silver platter only to choose to repeatedly put abusive amounts of illegal and deadly substances into her body, we really need to pause for a reality check.

    I bear no ill will toward Whitney Houston, and I certainly wish my condolences to her friends and loved ones.

    But we need to reserve the word "tragedy" for those who are innocent in the truly tragic sense of the word.

    ReplyDelete