Saturday, February 4, 2012

...like a zappa needs a bicycle

First, let me say that I don't "get" Frank Zappa. I've never really enjoyed his music. But the following, from the Steve Allen Show in 1963, leaves me fascinated:

Now, on the one hand, this demonstrates what it is that I don't like about his music. Specifically, the performance that starts at about 12 minutes in: I find it more cacophonous than melodic. I may find many of  the sounds interesting, even enjoyable. But, to my ears, they are not combined in a pleasing way.

But on the other hand, I can appreciate that Zappa dug sounds. He was endlessly fascinated by new and offbeat sounds, and he wanted to incorporate them into his music. At about 2:15 in the following clip, he explains "The challenge of collecting and organizing unusual sounds, along with the ordinary musical sounds, is something I enjoy doing."

The key is that he innovated. And if there were no innovation, music would be stagnant. With innovation, genres are constantly changing and merging, and new genres are forming. And many would argue that Zappa created a new genre. I'm not so sure, but, maybe...

No comments:

Post a Comment