Monday, January 30, 2012

country bob still going strong

So these guys are still together...
I first heard of Country Bob and the Blood Farmers in the 1980's when I was writing record reviews for a few small music magazines. I reviewed what I assumed to be their first record, Goin' to Hell in a Hatbasket. I think the magazine was called Alternative Rhythms, but after all these years I'm not sure. The band kind of straddles the line between cowpunk and psychobilly. On Hatbasket, the did a great cover of "Dang Me," as well some great originals. "God Fearin' Man," "Black Cowboy" and (my favorite) "Bowl Full of Noses."

There are so many bands I liked whose small-label releases never went anywhere. Most of them never had major mainstream success, Most of them broke up, with the members pursuing other endeavors or regrouping with members of other bands in new permutations. I don't know if these guys have been together for this whole time, or if they broke up and reunited. I don't know if there's been a stable lineup or what.

I do know they have another album out, I Cut Out Her Heart (and Stomped on It). I'll have to look into this...

No comments:

Post a Comment