Friday, August 9, 2013

mystery solved. or not.

I loved the movie, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World. Absolutely loved it. I thought some of the casting was a bit off. Michael Cera didn't seem right as the title character. He was too wimpy. And Ellen Wong was wrong as Knives Chau. She seemed way too old for the role. But I loved the movie anyway, due in no small part to the music.

For the unfmailiar, here's the theatrical trailer:
SPvtW is the story of a 20-something slacker who meets the girl of his dreams, but has to fight her seven evil exes in order to date her. The musical angle is that Scott plays bass for a band called Sex Bob-omb. Based on a series of graphic novels, the movie is presented in surreal fashion, with many nods to video-game aesthetics. What I really love about it is the music. Here are two examples:


Since I loved the music so much, I went to Amazon (shortly after seeing the movie) to buy the soundtrack. Before checking out, I decided to give a listen to some of the short samples that Amazon has up with the album. And the thrill was gone.Hearing the samples just didn't feel the same. So I took the soundtrack out of my cart and moved on. I'd occasionally come back to it -- I love the clips on Youtube. and sometimes I'd go back to Amazon to see if the samples hit me any better than before.But they never did.

Fast forward to today. I was browsing Reddit and found a comment about the movie. According to the comment, Beck wrote the songs, and the actors playing Sex Bob-omb perform them in the movie, but the soundtrack features Beck. Well, that would explain it. I guess I just don't like the less-rough sound of Beck.

Mystery solved.

Or is it?

I went to Amazon, but it clearly indicates that a bunch of tracks are performed by Sex Bob-omb, and they sound like what's in the movie. So I'm all confused. If anyone actually reads this and knows what's the story, please enlighten me.

No comments:

Post a Comment